Childrenâ��s Hospital of Michigan is an international leader in pediatric and adolescent medicine. Surgical services include general, thoracic, reconstructive and cardiovascular. Imaging technology designed specifically for children provides advanced diagnostic services including Positron Emission Tomography (PET) and MRI. The Childrenâ��s Hospital of Michigan Emergency Department is a verified Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Center and dedicated pediatric burn center. Experts in pediatric critical care, rehabilitation, and neonatal and perinatal medicine provide care for thousands of children every year at Childrenâ��s Hospital of Michigan, Childrenâ��s Hospital of Michigan - Troy and six ambulatory sites.
Under general supervision, provides child life services for ambulatory and inpatient children and their families. Administers programs and provides services that reduce distress, increase adaptive coping and protect and enhance developmental integrity by offering opportunities to play, learn and interact with others in an emotionally and physically safe environment.
1. The Patient Technology Specialist is responsible for management, performance, and completion of patient recreational and educational technology based projects.
2. Responsible for coordinating activities, identifying appropriate resources needed, and developing schedules to ensure timely completion of projects.
3. Provides appropriate play utilizing technology items where patients and families learn and interact with others in an emotionally and physically safe environment; while working with clinical staff to provide coordinated support.
4. Plans and implements a therapeutic play program to help hospitalized and ambulatory patients to adjust to the health care experience. Utilizes therapeutic play techniques, assessments and observations as diagnostic and treatment tools. Documents treatment plans, goals and observations.
5. Assists in preparing and orienting children and families for diagnostic and treatment procedures using developmentally appropriate methods. Provides support and helps facilitate coping through stress reduction techniques.
6. Provides information, education and support to patients and families on issues pertaining to hospitalization, illness, medical experiences and growth and development. Supports family bonds and utilizes family and cultural strengths to provide consistent and quality care for children.
7. Participates as a member of the interdisciplinary treatment team through program planning and team meetings in order to provide services in a holistic manner. Consults with other team members regarding the developmental status and individual needs of children to promote adaptation to treatment.
8. Presents educational programs to health care professionals and to the community regarding child health and development, the impact of illness, injury and hospitalization on children and families and parent education.
9. Collaborates with other professionals regarding the psychosocial, emotional and environmental needs of the child to promote adaptation to hospitalization and treatment. Offers counsel specific to the impact of health care experiences.
10. Provides guidance and training to child life students and volunteers. Maintains oversight of the Pet Therapy program.
1. Bachelor's degree in Child Life, Child Growth and Development, Recreational Therapy or related field.
2. Eligible for certification as a Child Life Specialist by the Child Life Certification Commission.
3. 600 hour internship experience including six weeks training in pediatrics preferred.
4. Requires minimum of 3 yearsâ�� experience working as a Certified Child Life Specialist in a clinical setting.
5. General knowledge of current digital gaming hardware/software, virtual & augmented reality, iOS, Android & Windows.
1. Analytical ability to assess patient needs and develop and provide appropriate services.
2. Interpersonal skills to work productively with patients, families, health care professionals and other members of the community.
3. Technical knowledge related to the provision of Child Life services.
Primary Location: Detroit, Michigan
Facility: DMC Children's Hospital of Michigan
Job Type: PT1
Shift Type: Days
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet Healthcare Corporation (NYSE: THC) is a diversified healthcare services company headquartered in Dallas with 112,000 employees. Through an expansive care network that includes United Surgical Partners International, we operate 65 hospitals and approximately 510 other healthcare facilities, including surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care and imaging centers and other care sites and clinics. We also operate Conifer Health Solutions, which provides revenue cycle management and value-based care services to hospitals, health systems, physician practices, employers and other clients. Across the Tenet enterprise, we are united by our mission to deliver quality, compassionate care in the communities we serve.