DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital is DMCâ��s largest hospital, offering a comprehensive heart center, cancer care, gerontology, emergency medicine, obstetrics/gynecology and cosmetic services. Sinai-Graceâ��s joint replacement program features a revolutionary minimally invasive knee and hip replacement surgery that attracts patients from all over the country. Sinai-Grace operates more than 21 outpatient care sites and ambulatory surgery centers throughout Wayne and Oakland Counties and is one of 10 hospitals in the nation to be awarded a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation grant to help set the standards of cardiac care for hospitals and physicians throughout the nation.
Under direct supervision and according to established policies and procedures, performs a variety of duties in the Endoscopy Department to assist the endoscopists and endoscopy team. Ensures that necessary equipment, instruments and supplies are available and ready for use. Assists the endoscopist with endoscopy procedures. Cleans, disinfects and sterilizes instruments after use.
1. Assists with multiple types of endoscopic procedures; handles instruments and anticipates the needs of the endoscopists, assisting as directed. Collects, accurately labels and forwards specimens to the laboratory.
2. Cleans and disinfects all equipment according to hospital policies and procedures. Tests disinfectant solutions for effectiveness daily and records results.
3. Re-supplies procedure rooms with standard supplies. Maintains endoscopy instruments and specialty equipment. Ensures that endoscopes and related equipment are in good working condition.
4. Prepares for scheduled endoscopic procedures, ensuring the necessary equipment, instruments and supplies are available and ready for use.
5. Assists in transportation of patients, via wheelchair or stretcher, within the department and hospital when necessary. Verifies patientâ��s identity and assists with lifting and positioning of patient for endoscopy procedures.
6. Observes patient condition while in he procedure room and reports any changes to the RN, anesthesia personnel or physician. Observes patient for any unusual signs of distress.
7. Demonstrates knowledge of aseptic technique and identifies and corrects any breaks in technique. Utilizes universal precautions according to hospital policies and procedures.
8. Maintains a clean, safe environment. Maintains work and storage areas in a clean and orderly condition. Ensures equipment and supplies are stored securely.
9. Assists in trial and evaluation of new products and provides input to manager.
10. Orients new personnel to endoscopy technician role and provides feedback on progress of orientee to preceptor and/or manager.
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Six to twelve months of related work experience in a hospital or patient care setting
3. Completion of Anatomy and Physiology preferred.
1. Interpersonal and communication skills necessary to work effectively with nursing and medical staff in stressful situations.
2. Physical ability to stand and/or walk almost constantly (more than 80% of the time) while assisting with procedures.
3. Manual dexterity and visual acuity including ability to see fine discriminate detail, handle instruments, etc.
4. Knowledge of aseptic technique and endoscopy instruments.
Job: Laboratory and Clinical Technicians
Primary Location: Detroit, Michigan
Facility: DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Rotate
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet Healthcare Corporation (NYSE: THC) is a diversified healthcare services company headquartered in Dallas with 112,000 employees. Through an expansive care network that includes United Surgical Partners International, we operate 65 hospitals and approximately 510 other healthcare facilities, including surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care and imaging centers and other care sites and clinics. We also operate Conifer Health Solutions, which provides revenue cycle management and value-based care services to hospitals, health systems, physician practices, employers and other clients. Across the Tenet enterprise, we are united by our mission to deliver quality, compassionate care in the communities we serve.