DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital in Oakland County is committed to outstanding customer service and medical care. This hospital features the Harris Birthing Center with all private birthing suites, the Charach Cancer Treatment Center (affiliated with the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Center), cardiac services, and comprehensive inpatient and outpatient diagnostic care. For emergency services, obstetrics and ambulatory surgery, Huron Valley-Sinai consistently ranks among the top hospitals in the nation.
Under the supervision of a physician, assists as a first or second assistant on major or minor operations. The role encompasses leadership, partnership, collaboration, and integration of services throughout the department of surgery. The Certified Surgical Assistant (CSA) demonstrates and maintains a level of surgical competence and proficiency. Informs Nursing staff and Physician Assistants about surgical techniques and surgical care.
1. Reviews cases assigned; performs as first or second assistant to the attending surgeon on major or minor operations, including but not limited to positioning the patient for procedures, placement of tourniquets, supports, and devices, preparing surgical site, draping the patient maintaining a sterile field, inserting necessary tubes, drains, catheters, packing, and ortho devices.
2. Prepares, selects and assembles necessary surgical equipment and supplies as dictated by surgical procedure and the proposed surgical care plan.
3. Attends department meetings and participates in perioperative education programs as appropriate.
4. Maintains and/or enhances professional expertise through appropriate educational and organizational activities.
5. Performs other related duties as assigned.
6. Currently hours scheduled to work are Monday -Friday
1. Graduation from a certified surgical assistant program approved by the Committee on Accreditation of Allied Health Programs (CAAHEP) or the National Surgical Assistant Association (NSAA). Bachelor's degree in science, Nursing or a directly related field, preferred.
2. Certification as a Certified Surgical Assistant (CSA).
3. Two to three years of experience in surgery.
4. Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
1. Manual dexterity and mechanical ability to assist surgeon in complex surgical techniques.
2. Physical stamina for prolonged standing, walking, and lifting.
3. Analytical ability necessary to monitor and deliver appropriate response to changes in patient condition, to monitor data lab reports, x-rays, physical findings, etc. and, in consultation with the attending physician, develop treatment plans.
Interpersonal skills necessary for eliciting medical and psychosocial history, instructing patients and families, and maintaining productive relationships with medical and Nursing staff.
Primary Location: Commerce Township, Michigan
Facility: DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital
Job Type: PT2Y
Shift Type: Rotate
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet Healthcare Corporation (NYSE: THC) is a diversified healthcare services company headquartered in Dallas with 112,000 employees. Through an expansive care network that includes United Surgical Partners International, we operate 65 hospitals and approximately 510 other healthcare facilities, including surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care and imaging centers and other care sites and clinics. We also operate Conifer Health Solutions, which provides revenue cycle management and value-based care services to hospitals, health systems, physician practices, employers and other clients. Across the Tenet enterprise, we are united by our mission to deliver quality, compassionate care in the communities we serve.