Explore and excel. At Banner Health, health care is a team effort. One might be surprised by the number of people who work behind the scenes and play a critical role in ensuring the best care for our patients. Apply today.
Banner Gateway Medical Center's Surgery department consists of 12 Operating Rooms which includes 8 in the Main OR and 4 located at the Banner Gateway Surgery Center on campus. BGMC offers a wide range of surgical specialties serving a mostly adult population. BGMC supplies all surgical support to Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center. Our campus specializes in Oncologic, Bariatric, Robotic, General, Urology, GYN, Orthopedics and other specialties as identified. We have a 30% same day add-on caseload with increasing patient acuity and surgical complexity. The Sterile Processing Department supplies sterile processing support for the Main OR, Surgery Center, Labor and Delivery, and the Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center, as well as a variety of other procedural areas throughout the campus as needed.
The Sterile Processing Department is an integral part of the perioperative enterprise, which is growing due to our association with the Banner MD Anderson Cancer. This position is full time 40 hour/week 3pm- 11:30pm with on-call, weekend, and holiday requirements. Weekend rotations are required in this role. Enjoy a flat rate $1/hour weekend shift differential and an 18%-night shift differential when applicable.
Experience innovative technology and exceptional opportunities for growth and development at Banner Health's state-of-the-art hospital Banner Gateway Medical Center. With comprehensive electronic medical records, physician order entry, digital radiography and proprietary advanced patient monitoring, Banner Gateway provides you with the innovative resources you need to provide your patients with the best care possible. Our commitment to nursing excellence has enabled us to achieve Magnet(tm) recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Located near Phoenix in Gilbert, Ariz., Banner Gateway Medical Center offers 176 private rooms, eight operating suites, a 37-bed emergency department and shares a campus with the Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center. Key specialties include oncology, obstetrics, bariatric surgery, emergency and other services that focus on meeting the changing needs of the dynamic and growing community we serve. About Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center Located in Gilbert, Ariz. (the Phoenix Metro area) on the Banner Gateway Campus, the center provides world-class care for oncology patients - both inpatient and outpatient - and has also brought leading oncology programs to the Banner Gateway campus including Stem Cell Transplantation and comprehensive Head & Neck cancer care. Our capabilities include five linear accelerator vaults, a brachytherapy vault, an advanced diagnostic imaging suite with PET/CT scan, more than 50 infusion bays, a cryopreservation lab and much more. Our inpatient medical oncology unit also incorporates a program that utilizes the electronic surveillance partnership in caring for the patient, where remote nurses have the ability to interact with patients via two way audio-video to assist the bedside nurse with patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for prioritizing, inventory and coordinating activities associated with a specific service line. Develop, implement, and manage an effective, cost-contained system for the procurement, processing and distribution of medical supplies, equipment and instruments for assigned service line.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. May perform all duties of the departmental technicians, as needed.
2. Applies judgment in determining the priority level of instrumentation and equipment requests for a specific specialty service line or shift. Recommends scheduling of procedures based on equipment and instrument needs to ensure effective patient flow
3. Coordinates with department staff in assuring service line priorities are met and completed in a timely manner.
4. Possesses in-depth knowledge of service line/shift and precepts new employees at all levels regarding service line with respect to specific issues and troubleshooting.
5. Oversees assigned service line in a competent and professional manner. Investigates, proposes solutions, follows through with issues from various department staff such as sterile processing, OR, floors, and ED to ensure safe effective patient care. Confirms problem resolution
6. Responsible for reviewing current and future OR schedules, projects future equipment and instrument needs, and ensures instruments will be processed and ready
7. Inventories instrumentation and trays for service line and orders appropriate replacements or additional depending on usage. Collaborates with OR Manager on number of tray sets and instruments needed.
8. Departmental responsibility. Incumbent assists the Operating Room and other areas in the procurement of medical supplies, instruments, and sterile processing issues. Internal customers are other company staff, physicians, patients, visitors, managers, and executives. External customers are vendors, patients, visitors, other facilities, and non-company medical facilities.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
Requires national certification as a SPD Technician, Certified Registered Central Service Technician or Surgical Instrument Processor.
Requires proficiency level typically acquired with 2 years of sterile processing experience including knowledge of surgical instrumentation, patient related supplies, materials and equipment, aseptic and sterilization techniques. Must have mechanical aptitude with the ability to break down moving parts, clean, lubricate and reassemble. Must have mechanical aptitude with the ability to break down moving parts, clean, lubricate and reassemble, problem solve incomplete trays and missing instrumentation and have effective organizational, communication and human relation skills as the incumbent will be coordinating several projects simultaneously and working closely with all levels of staff.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Previous leadership experience and computer skills are preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.